IMPACT Inquiry Masters Program Advancing Content for Teachers

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Are both a year of biology and a year of chemistry necessary for application to this grant?


  • Yes, a year of biology and a year of chemistry are prerequisites to eligibility for this grant.
  • If you wish advice on what courses to take, forward a copy of your transcripts to Dr. Daryl Moorhead. He can advise you on what coursework to take to meet the eligibility requirements.
  • If you do not meet the eligibility requirements for this grant round, you may take necessary coursework and reapply for the next grant round starting in 2011.

Q: Do I really have to take the GRE exam?


  • The GRE exam is a requirement of the Department of Environmental Sciences (DES).
  • You can schedule the GRE at Scott Park Campus Computer-Based Testing
    • Location: ASC 1200
      Phone: 419.530.3269 or 419.530.3266
      Hours: Monday through Friday; 8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
      Open some Saturdays – call for specific dates
    • The GRE tests are schedule only at 9:00 am and 1:00 pm.

Q: What if I’ve taken the GRE in the past?


  • If you’ve already taken the GRE, but it was more than 2-3 years ago you may still be able to retrieve your score and forward that information with your IMPACT application – call the office of the department you received your graduate degree from and ask if they still have your information on file and if you may obtain a copy.
  • The College of Graduate Studies states that GRE scores are only valid for 5 years. They only keep paper file copies for 2-3 years. You may call the College of Graduate Studies for more information at 419.530.4723.

Q: Where do I get my transcripts?


  • Call Rocket Solutions Central, 419.530.8700 for detailed information.
  • Due to privacy laws, you must request your transcripts.
  • Make transcripts requests in person at Rocket Solutions Central, or by mail, or fax; no over-the-phone requests.

Q: In terms of time, how long of a commitment is required of this grant?


  • The grant requires commitment of two years to complete the Master of Biology (Ecology Track).
  • Courses are scheduled after school and during summer breaks.

Q: Is there a service requirement for the IMPACT grant program? If yes, what is it?


  • Those accepted into the IMPACT program are responsible for continuation as a science teacher in a high-needs area in Toledo Public School for two years, or they must repay their IMPACT scholarship.

Q: If I don’t complete the IMPACT grant program, what happens?


  •  You must repay their IMPACT scholarship monies to The University of Toledo

Q: Is there a thesis required?


  • This program requires a Master’s Project instead of a thesis.

Q: I did not have the necessary year of biology and chemistry; if I take coursework necessary to apply for the next cohort am I given preference?


  • Those who expend the effort to take courses in order to meet qualifications to participate in IMPACT will be given preference in the next grant round

Additional Resources

To learn more about the Department of Environmental Studies, go to: